26.4.11

I’m white

I’m bulky
and white
and up in a tree

I’m half-open,
but should
normally
be closed

I’m not as cool
as I used to be

I normally
need juice
to keep my
motor running,
but up here
there’s none

I’ve been
reduced
to failure

– Felix Morgenstern (© 2011)

Written for NaPoWriMo day 26. The task was to do a “riddle poem – one in which you write from the point of view of an object or person (or about an object and person), and the poem itself forms a giant riddle.” Well, giant it’s not exactly, but a riddle it is. Let’s see if anyone can guess what I’m impersonating here.

As the end of NaPoWriMo is drawing nearer, I’m getting close to feeling poetically exhausted. It’s not that easy to produce poetry on demand. And the demands (the prompts) are often different from what I would normally write on my own. For example, I would not normally write riddles. I might write cryptic or eclectic or enigmatic stuff, but not riddles. Oh well, it’s really my very own decision to take on a prompt or do something else. And some of the prompts have been a lot of fun, and it’s actually been good to venture out and do something I would normally not do.

One thing’s for sure, though: April is definitely not the cruellest month (happy to contradict you, T.S., as always). In fact, it’s one of the cooellest months. Period and amen.

9 comments:

vivinfrance said...

I give up! I agree with your summing up of April. I'm pwhacked.

Stan Ski said...

I failed too... which makes it a good riddle!

Anonymous said...

A cloud? But a tree is too low.

I give up.

We are all feeling that weariness, I bet; I know I am.

Annie Jeffries said...

You are a model airplane crashed into a tree????

Mary said...

I can't figure it out either. I notice you are from Stuttgart. I have a very good friend who lives in Baden-Wurttemburg as well.

Iself said...

Thank you all for visiting, commenting, being puzzled and guessing!

Well, I'm not a cloud, not a model airplane ... I'm simply a fridge. Don't ask me what previous owner put me up there in that tree ... or maybe I ended up there after a flood. Who knows.

This is the result of an absurd joke a French friend told the other night, "What's white and up in a tree?"

Andy Sewina said...

Phew, you had me up till all hours trying to work this one out! I was convinced it was something to do with an owl in the first stanza, and by the end I thought it was air fuel (anag.) failure!!! Phew!

Cool bananas!

Hyde Park Poetry Palace said...

confidence wins.

Hyde Park Poetry Palace said...

invite you sharing a free verse with poets rally today.… 9 hours to go before we are closed.

Hope to see you in!
Have A Blessed Thursday!
xxx