28.4.11

The words I don’t like poem

Why can’t I think of
any? It’s not that
they’re all the same
to me. But ever
since yesterday, when
I started thinking
the matter over,
I haven’t come up
with a single one.
Ok, so I don’t tend
to use four-letter
words that often
in poetic mode. (Real
life is different. I do
resort to expletives
regularly where
warranted. And those
warranted situations,
as you know, occur
all too often in
real life.) But now
I’m down here
in what has become
a much longer
poem than I’d
intended, and still
have not thought
of a single word
I hate. Let’s say
I’m like the
benevolent creator –
they’re all my
children – I must
love them all
democratically,
whether they be
English, German,
Turkish, Malayalam,
Chinese or Urdu.

– Iself (© 2011)

Written for NaPoWriMo day 28. The task, you guessed it, was “to try writing poems using our least favorite words.”

4 comments:

Stan Ski said...

If asked which words I don't like, my response would be similar.

vivinfrance said...

Yay, that's telling us! I really like your style here.

I've thought of another to add to my least favourites list: hate. I hate it. The world's too full of hatred.

Mary said...

James, I understand how you felt about this prompt. I couldn't think of any words I really hated either. And any words I write down in poetry, I just HAVE to like (even if only just a litte bit!).

Judy Roney said...

I love your thoughts that words are all your children and you don't hate any of them. Makes me smile.

No Computers