8.4.11

As if you'd won the lottery

Don't stand there with that shit-eating grin on your face,
my dear, as if you'd just won the red noise prize.

Let me tell you that a fruit's a fruit and a tart's a tart,
and that Annabelle – well, suffice it to say

that I knew her in school, and all to well.
If you know what I mean.

So don't you feed me that 'J'en sais rien' line.
I seen the two of you parked in my car,

and it was rocking.

– Iself (© 2011)

Written for day 8 of NaPoWriMo.

This was written in response to:
"Today’s prompt is a bit of a smorgasbord, and reflects the fact that we are at day seven. It asks you to write a poem with seven different phrases, ideas, or just plain old “things” in it. These are:
1) an example of synasthetic metaphor — one that describes one sensory perception using adjectives more naturally suited to a different sense (e.g., “a red noise,” or a “a bitter touch”)
2) a fruit
3) the name (first or last) of someone you knew in school
4) a rhetorical question
5) a direct address to the poem’s audience — “Reader” or “mom” or “Michelle,” or maybe just “You”)
6) a word in a foreign language
7) a reference to a game of chance (darts or pool or the lottery or etc).
All of these may seem pretty disjointed, and indeed, they’re meant to be. But these kind of little “projects” can work wonders in keeping a poem both lively and concrete, instead of letting it wander off into a forest of abstractions)."

7 comments:

vivinfrance said...

Perhaps they had, and were celebrating!

Stan Ski said...

Awkwardly, he says 'all toO well'...
or maybe j'en sais rien...
But I do know a good post when I see one... and that was one!

Anonymous said...

This is the third time today I've written: your best poem so far.

Great day for poeming.

Love it.

Ron. said...

I would never have undertaken this prompt. You've done a marvelous job with it. Cnga rats.

Gloria said...

Fantastic job with the prompt! I tried it too (Carpe Diem) with a totally different kind of result. I'm really impressed with what you did with it!

Anonymous said...

This prompt was one I did not attempt, because it's so complicated. You nailed it. To the wall. With an iron hammer - no rusty nails, either. LOVED it.

Here's a freeform silly:
http://sharplittlepencil.wordpress.com/2011/04/06/loud-lecherous-legislators-abc-wednesday/

Peace, Amy

Iself said...

Thank you all for visiting, reading and commenting. I apologize for not doing more of it myself, but my day is usually like this: get up, read NaPoWriMo prompt, go to work, write NaPoWriMo poem while eating something before commencing work, work, work, work, some obligation in the evening.